I've pulled a lot of inspiration from Exile Games' Hollow Earth Expedition, including the secret organization of Terra Obscura (their Terra Arcana), and some details of the Vril-ya.
Here are my notes on the subject. I started out by using Doc Rotwang's Adventure Funnel template, which has been very useful for organizing my ideas --- not that they're really all that organized.
Torgon Needs Vril!
Dr. Helmut von Nacht, an agent for "a benefactor who wishes to remain anonymous", has hired a group of Henchmen (the PCs) from the Henching Hand (a Hemchman Temp agency) to secure a source of limitless power, called Vril.
GOAL: 1) Locate the source of Vril on Earth. 2) Summon Torgon's invasion fleet. 3) Secure it until the Fleet arrives
- It's our home planet, dammit!
- We didn't read the fine print
- The Earth is HOLLOW? Who knew?
- Perils from the Surface World: Nazis, ?
- Perils of the Hollow Earth: hostile natives (including "extinct" Surface World cultures), beast-men, dinosaurs, man-eating plants, etc.)
- Torgon the Eviscerator (evil space tyrant), the Interocitor (Torgon's viewscreen/remote control/death ray)
- Dr. Helmut von Nacht, "prominent" scientist, agent of Torgon, member of the Thule society inner circle, secret Nazi; actual employer of the
- But we don't WANT to work with Nazis!!!
- Terra Obscura (secret society, protectors of the Hollow Earth
Dr. Helmut von Nacht
- Secretly an agent of Torgon the Eviscerator
- Has his own agenda:
- successfully enter the Hollow Earth (has tried several times before)
- verify connection between Atlanteans and Aryans
- Seize the power of Vril
- Gudrun Schlager, von Nacht's assistant / lover / assassin
- Horst Zimmer, seemingly a big, beefy Aryan stereotype;. von Nacht has some kind of hold over him, which Zimmer resents. Looking for a chance to break free.
- ? some other assistant ?
- One of these is a member of Terra Obscura
- One of these is a result of Nazi breeding experiment, which confers some kind of superior ability (mental or physical) which the subject keeps hidden.
- von Nacht has a secret hold over one of these, which the victim resents.
- Helmut von Nacht had a loyal bunch of Stormtroopers, but something happened to them (the doings of the Terra Obscura agent, no doubt).
- (The Henchmen should discover the fate of the Stormtroopers somehow, something gruesome)
- Torgon is getting impatient with him, so he had to find substitutes.
- von Nacht is keeping important details of the mission secret. Partly because this is how he treats his underlings; partly because he doesn't want them to blow the mission for him.
- The earth is hollow
- Several entrances, especially at the poles
- Ancient Civilizations, including remnants of the Atlantean civilization. Amazons, Titans (giant humanoids), Vril-ya, Cargo Cultists, Amazons, Cannibals, Neanderthals, Noble Savages, Aztecs, Mongols, Mythikans (Ancient Greeks), Romans
- Beast Men: Ape Men, Gill Men, Mandrakes (plant people), Hawk Men, Panther Men, Lizard Men, Mantis Men, Mole Men
- Creatures: dinosaurs; prehistoric megafauna; "man-eating" plants; etc.
- Ancient secret society, descended from Atlanteans, working to keep all knowledge of the Hollow Earth a secret.
- Agents will use any means (discrediting, theft, bribery, recruitment, murder) to accomplish their goals
- Small but widespread organization; has infiltrated governments, universities, military; monitors world news organizations. expeditions to areas which lead to Hollow Earth
- Agents are incredibly capable and resourceful secret agents; dedicated but do not act like rabid fanatics. (Think James Bond).
- They have access to some Atlantean technology, but sparingly; don't understand the principles of the technology.
- Though of an Atlantean origin, there are no Atlanteans in Terra Obscura.
- Von Nacht will have them killed if they don't do what he wants.
- The Henching Hand will terminate their contracts, with all applicable penalties, if they don't go through with the mission. [Look up the appropriate parts of the contract; if there aren't any, write up new ones. Didn't you check your email? Well, check your spam filter. Do we have your correct email? Home address? etc.)
- Doesn't Earth have, like, space radar? Space stations? Orbiting nuclear platforms?
- it's an energy source much like the Force, Ley Line energy, feng shui, etc.
- The ancient Atlanteans knew how to master Vril; it was the source of their super-scientific/occult technology.
- Destroyed millenia ago on the surface world; survivors made their way to the center of the Earth.
- Had an incredibly high level of technology and magic
- Mysteriously vanished. (Like the Krell/Forbidden Planet)? Mysterious ruins left behind, showing hints of advanced/magic technology.
- identity is kept secret (to keep the PCs from backing out), heighten suspense
- Dr. Helmut von Nacht is Torgon's Earth agent; works for a mysterious benefactor, who prefers to remain anonymous
- One of the PCs is a former lieutenant of Torgon's who failed a mission or rebelled; von Nacht has orders to see this PC killed.
- Large hangar with rocketships
- Interocitor (big triangular screen, atom symbol, dials, etc.)
- Locked meeting room with Torgon symbol
- Torture chamber w/ prisoners (who? why?) (To clue the henchmen in that something weird is going on. Of course, henchmen get weird handed to them on a daily basis.)
- Alien troops are kept hidden or disguised
- Terra Obscura agent covertly sabotaging mission
- Helmut von Nacht is secretly a highly placed member of the Thule Society
- Wants to discover the lost secrets of Atlantis for the return of the Third Reich (Fourth Reich?)
- Wants to prove the Atlantean origin of the Aryan races, and thus German racial superiority
- Atlantean scientific and occult knowledge behind every major historical civilization
- Knowledge of the secrets of Atlantis will return the Reich to power.
- Have some ancient Atlantean devices which they use for torture, mind reading, mind control, espionage
- They don't understand the principles
- Working with the Nazis
- Claim to be the real Atlanteans, but are mere pretenders
- Live in a major set of Atlantean ruins, and have access to more Atlantean technology than annyone else, but do not have more than a smattering
- Pretending to be gods, wizards of great power, etc.
- Have access to a great source of Vril
- The Eisenmaulwurf (Iron Mole): drilling vehicle from an early attempt by von Nacht. Could be repaired and used to ecape if stranded.
- Gaining allies from the natives
- Discovering a minor secret of Atlantean technology